Christmas Roast Rabbit
Looking for a roast rabbit recipe that you can present at your Christmas dinner? This is the one!
- 1 rabbit, deboned
- 3.5 oz of white bread, soaked in milk and squeezed well
- 1 egg
- 11 oz of ground veal meat
- 1 fresh pork sausage
- 3.5 oz grated pecorino cheese
- Black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 5 potatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 cup beef broth or vegetable stock or white wine
- In a bowl mix the breadcrumb with the ground veal, the fresh pork sausage, a lightly beaten egg and the grated pecorino cheese. Add a pinch of salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Mix throughly.
- Lay the boned rabbit on a cutting board and spread the filling evenly over the rabbit. Wrap the rabbit on itself starting from the hind legs, then tie it well with a kitchen twine and rub with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees F and place the rabbit in a pan with peeled potatoes cut into wedges and a red onion cut into slices. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and bake for about 40 minutes to brown the rabbit. After 40 minutes baste the meat with
- the broth or white wine and lower the temperature to 350 degrees F. Cook the rabbit for 50 more minutes, basting it occasionally with its gravy.
- Let cool completely before slicing. Warm the gravy and pour it over the rabbit slices before serving
Recipe adapted from Jul’s Kitchen