Today’s recipe takes us a little south of the border. A one dish rabbit enchilada casserole that is layered like a lasagna. Putting two of our favorite dishes together – the ease of a casserole with the flare of enchiladas! Let’s be honest, making enchiladas is work and half the time the tortillas crack and make a mess…or maybe that’s just my house. This stacking rabbit enchilada casserole is quick and easy; not to mention it is crack free.
We love the rich flavor the green chilis provide this dish. Great for feeding a crowd of freeze leftovers for a later date.
Green Chili Rabbit Enchilada Casserole
This recipe is best prepared in a 13″ x 9″ baking dish.
Green Chili Rabbit Enchilada Casserole – Ingredients
- 2 quarts green chili enchilada sauce (from scratch or canned)
- 2 pounds cooked rabbit meat, diced or shredded
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 pound cheese
- 1 package small flour tortilla (think taco vs burrito size)
- Fresh Chopped Cilantro (optional)
Green Chili Rabbit Enchilada Casserole – Directions
- Pre-heat the oven to 375
- Heat the green chili in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Cover the bottom of a 13″ x 9″ baking dish with a thin layer of the green chili sauce to prevent the casserole from sticking.
- Then add flour tortillas to completely cover. You may need to cut the tortillas to make them fit properly.
- Now your layers will go as follows:
- Rabbit & Onion (+ cilantro if you want it)
- Cheese to cover the layer
- Sauce again
- You want to be sure your top layer is a good thick covering of cheese.
- Put your casserole on top of a cookie sheet to catch any spill and put it in the oven.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45 – 60 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
- Let the casserole settle for about 15 – 20 minutes before cutting and serving.
Great topped with a little more fresh cilantro, sour cream or guacamole.
Make sure to check out all of our rabbit recipes!