Rabbit Meat Cacciatore; a nice dish from the south of Italy.
Rabbit Meat Cacciatore
- 3/4 all purpose flour
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper
- 1 Three to four pound dressed rabbit
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
- 6 juniper berries, crushed
- 3 large cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, rough chop
- 2 cups dry red wine (you can use dry white if you prefer)
- 2-4 cups tomato sauce (recipe to follow, or use your favorite sauce)
- Cut washed and dried rabbit into eight pieces: two front haunches, two back haunches and four saddle pieces. You will need a good clever or poultry sheers.
- Season the flour into which you have added a teaspoon each of the salt, black pepper and garlic powder, and a 1/4 teaspoon of the red pepper.
- In a large, heavy pan such as a Dutch oven, add one-quarter cup of the olive oil (reserve the rest and use as needed), and heat.
- Add the juniper berries and rosemary and three or four pieces of rabbit and cook until golden brown. Place cooked pieces on plate covered with paper towel. Finish the remaining pieces. Oil will turn dark.
- In same pan, sautée onions with garlic until softened, add wine and tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
- Add rabbit and simmer, until the meat is fork tender. Liquid will reduce. Recheck seasoning, and serve over linguine, or your favorite pasta.
Recipe found on http://www.fieldandfeast.com