Braised Rabbit in Honey Mustard
- 2 rabbit thighs ( 1.2 lbs)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large cloves of garlic, crushed and roughly chopped
- 1 cup or 250 ml low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp dried sage, crumbled
- 3-4 tsps of German style or Dijon or any smooth grainy mustard, or to taste
- 1 heaping tbsp honey, or to taste
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the oven to 200c or 390f, prepare a baking dish and set aside. Combine all sauce ingredients in a bowl until well incorporated. Taste and adjust if desired, then set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, gently puncture small whole into the thights. Then rub with a little bit of salt and black pepper, set aside. Heat oil until hot, then add rabbit. Allow to brown on all sides as evenly as possible. Once browned use a slotted spatula to remove and place in baking dish. In the same pan, and oil, fry the garlic just until soft, make sure it doesn’t burnt. Remove the garlic from pan and add to rabbit. Pour the mustard sauce into baking dish. Place in center of oven and cook for 1 hour. Halfway through flip the rabbit and cook for 20 minutes, then flip back for the remaining 10. Sauce should have thickened and halved. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with sauce and desired side dishes.