Today’s recipe is Southwestern Rabbit Casserole. A homey and enjoyable casserole with a southwestern flare. This satisfying casserole will quickly become a family favorite. Great re-heated the next day!
This is one of my favorite casseroles that I’ve come up with. There is just something so homey and delightful to me about a casserole. I make this one often because I usually have all or most of the ingredients on hand and it’s just so satisfying. This recipe is perfect for the day after you grill some rabbit. Just add an extra one and set it aside for the next night.
Southwestern Rabbit Casserole
Southwestern Rabbit Casserole – Ingredients
– 1lb potatoes, peeled and diced
– 1 small rabbit, grilled
– ½ cup salsa verde
– 1 bell pepper, sliced
– ½ small onion, sliced
– 2 tablespoons butter
– 2/3 cup black bean dip (or refried beans)
– 1 cup canned red beans, drained and rinsed
– ½ teaspoon garlic powder
– ½ teaspoon season salt
– ½ teaspoon onion powder
– 1/3 cup chopped scallion
– 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
– Oil or additional butter for sautéing
– Cooking spray
– Salt and pepper, to taste
Southwestern Rabbit Casserole – Directions
1. Add your diced potatoes to a pot of water and bring to a boil. Allow potatoes to cook until just before being fork tender. Once done, remove from heat and drain well.
2. While potatoes are cooking sauté peppers and onions over medium heat in a couple of tablespoons of oil or butter for about 10 minutes or until vegetables soften. Once done remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a small bowl mix together your red beans and bean dip.
4. In a separate sauté pan add potatoes, 2 tablespoons of butter, garlic powder, onion powder, and season salt. Cook over medium high heat for approximately 10 – 12 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through. Add pepper to taste.
5. In a small casserole dish spray a small amount of cooking spray. Then layer: potatoes, bean mixture, sautéed veggies, rabbit, salsa verde, cheese, and finally scallions.
6. Place in a 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and casserole is heated through.